Sunday, February 24, 2008

Logos: Author Promotion

This is one of the most overlooked aspects of being an author. Do you want a big contract? Do you want to be published then you need to create a commodity that publishers can market. This includes a website, business cards, and promo items. But, it takes more than that. You need to brand yourself. You need a good 'professionaly taken' photo - by a model photographer, not the guy down the street.


You also need a logo that is recognizable. This is one of the first things I learned. My first writing instructor never submitted a manuscript unless it was on letterhead that included her logo design


This website took me less than 10 minutes to create using an online wizard. The wizard broke into two parts, one made the logo, one made the business card.
I went back two or three times to make changes. At first I put my name on the logo, but changed it to my 'sale's statement.'
Next, I stretched the book. At first, it was the size of the U in published. I also changed the color so I could create a layer.
So, there is no reason why you shouldn't make your own business cards, cheaper than the local office supply story, and easier.
Once you have a logo, you can use it on more than business cards to 'brand yourself.'

No comments: